Asked in Divorce, Estate Planning and Child Custody for Louisiana

Q: Can husband take kids and car from me and move out and then say I can’t have the kids until I have a car?

Husband has taken the kids and car and now living at his moms. This leaves me and the oldest son who is not biologically his but has been raising since 2, he is now 9, with no vehicle. He said he won’t let me see the kids until I get a car. He makes more money than I do and we have always shared the cost of living. Can he keep the children for that reason and leave me without maintaining his end of the family home?

1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Find a cheaper place to live and leave. Hire a divorce lawyer and get a car.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.