Holland, MI asked in Family Law for Michigan

Q: am i able to get emancipated without being abused ?

i am 17 years old, & i strive for adult life. i crave that adulting, & high responsible adult life. i want to move to ohio if my emancipation goes through. i’m not abused what so ever, my parents are loving & supportive. is this possible for me

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Ironically, the fact that you say your parents are supporting may be a factor for your emancipation to be denied. Generally, to be emancipated, you need to make a showing that you are capable of supporting yourself.

A non-legal bit of advice: why the rush? There may come a time where you'll look back and wish you could lean back on your parents for support and they won't be able to (e.g., death, disability). A lot of people even your age do not have one, let alone two, parents to go to when times get tough and they are all out on their own.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.