Taylor, MI asked in Traffic Tickets for Michigan

Q: pulled over for speeding, cop gave me parking ticket instead.

i got pulled over for speeding but the cop gave me a break and instead of a speeding ticket i was given a ticket for double parking in the comment section the cop wrote 47 in a 35. my question is can i fight the ticket as a parking ticket or is there a loop hole that allows cops to give tickets for something other than the actual traffic offence? if i fight the parking ticket and the court or officer cant prove that i double parked will the ticket be dismissed? i live in Michigan.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Frank B. Ford
Frank B. Ford
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Dearborn Heights, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: If you contest the double parking ticket, the officer can, and probably would, dismiss that ticket and write a new ticket for the full 47 in a 35. You say that the officer gave you a break, which apparently means you know you were speeding. Double parking doesn't go on your driving record, so why would you contest and risk getting points on your record for speeding?

Brent T. Geers agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.