Campbellsville, KY asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Personal Injury and Domestic Violence for Kentucky

Q: I was mentally abused by my ex but I did not know what was happening. I can't work can I sue him for loss of income?

I was mentally abused by my ex husband who is a retired military veteran 20 years. We dated for 2.5 years and were married for 25 years and divorced now 7 years. I did not know that he was mentally abusing me till a couple years after I left him. I went through severe depression and almost died. I now fight a daily battle with cPTSD, severe anxiety, major depression and fibromyalgia just a few diagnosis that came after I left him. I lost my job I had during the marriage and I have lost 2 more because of the issues mentioned above. Can I sue him for loss of job and income? I filed for SS disability but it is now 5 years and still no answer. I live on $766.32 half his military retirement. He still tries to control me and has filed 2 separate allegiations with CPS and both were closed do with no evidence. He has told lies about me and he took away my financial future I had planned with a SBP through military and he owes me for a couple different things I'm decree.

1 Lawyer Answer
Anna Aleksander
Anna Aleksander
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: Unless you waived all claims against him In your divorce agreement you could sue him for abuse however if you sue him outside of the family court context you would have to allege a viable claim In tort .. and it would have to fall within the Kentucky statute of limitations which would normally run from the time the abuse took place or whenever the injury/ cause .. was discovered or should have been reasonably discovered. In some cases the statute maybe equitably tolled or if you were incompetent or a minor. Speak with a lawyer about your claims.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.