Fort Myers, FL asked in Divorce for Florida

Q: Married and the house we live in was n his name then changed it to his trust . In the divorce do I get any of the sale

He is planning to sell and leave me without nothing, can he do this since it’s in the trust name after the marriage?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Generally speaking you accrue a marital interest in the home during the intact marriage. He may be entitled to a non-marital portion depending on the specific facts, like whether he owned the house before you married. You would also need to carefully review the trust documents which you say were executed during the marriage. Schedule a consultation with a local family lawyer who can give you more specific advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.