The Villages, FL asked in Personal Injury and Real Estate Law for Florida

Q: Can our HOA board controlled by Builder make us sign release to be on transition committee?

....and assigns release, waive, acquit and forever discharge and hold harmless Property Name, Inc., and each of its, successors, assigns, members, officers, directors, employees, agents, managers, management companies, servants, heirs, executors, administrators, insurers, attorneys, and persons, firms or corporations having an interest therein (hereinafter collectively referred to as the releasees) of and from any and all claims, actions, causes of action, demands, rights, damages, injuries, death, costs, loss of services, expenses, attorney's fees, and compensation whatsoever, which the undersigned now has or which may hereafter accrue on account of or in any way growing out of any and all known and unknown, foreseen and unforeseen bodily and personal injuries and property damage and the consequences thereof resulting or to result from any accident, casualty, or event occurring in connection with the undersigned’s voluntary work as a committee member for Property Name.

1 Lawyer Answer

A: They can always ask but you do not have to sign it. I would recommend you not sign it without having a lawyer review the entire document, which may not be worth the cost, considering you are volunteering.

Developer-controlled HOAs will do or say anything because they are counting on you not spending your money on a lawyer to protect your rights. This document seems very extreme considering the nature of your voluntary duties, which I would guess from my experience with transitions is pretty much reviewing documents and checking the files.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.