Red Bluff, CA asked in Wrongful Death, Personal Injury and Medical Malpractice for California

Q: I suffered a stillbirth at 32 weeks due to a doctors negligence can I sue for wrongful death?

I had lupus prior to pregnancy so I required a high risk doctor. During pregnancy I developed cholestatsis and gestational diabetes so I was at a much higher risk. I was being monitored weekly. Though my lab work showed little progress I was to deliver my baby at 36 weeks. At around 30 weeks I began doing non stress tests that I was borderline passing. Also around 30 weeks My rheumatologist for my lupus did lab work and realized I needed to deliver my baby as soon as possible because of my lupus and the baby was borderline passing the tests so she had recommended I go to a hospital with a NICU and it was fairly late to get accepted at a place like UC Davis. I called my high risk doctor and he never called me back instead called me back with a reminder that I had an upcoming appointment and when I had my appointment the high risk doctor carelessly said I didn’t need to go have the baby sooner that he was following me and we weren’t hospitalized. Two days later there was no heartbeat.

1 Lawyer Answer
Theodore Allan Greene
Theodore Allan Greene
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You should reach out to some attorneys who specialize in medical malpractice. They should be able to help you determine what options you have. Do this right away because you only have a limited time to take action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.