West Orange, NJ asked in Immigration Law for New Jersey

Q: N400 or N600 as the child of a USC who came to the US at age 20 with Resident Card category IR2?

I was Born in 1997 in Haiti. I came to the US 2017 while I was 20 years old on a Green Card category IR2. My mother is a Haitian citizen and still living in Haiti with no tight to the US as for my father, he became a USC in 2010 while I was 13 years old. Now I am caught between the rock and a hard place by not knowing which form I should use between the N400 or N600.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL

A: If you were admitted into the U.S., as a green card holder, at the age of 20 years, then you cannot derive citizenship through your father. That means that you should consider whether to file a form N-400. This, after you have five years of uninterrupted lawful permanent resident status. Still, there are many other reasons to disqualify applicants, even reasons to deport them. Many reasons to deny or deport do not require a criminal conviction.

As a result, I strongly recommend an appointment or teleconference with a competent and experienced immigration attorney before there are any other complications.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.