Chicago, IL asked in Car Accidents, Domestic Violence and Small Claims for Illinois

Q: My ex has my car that i paid for. He has the car because both names are on the car. He totaled it and wants the title.

There is a restraining order so this is why it’s difficult. What do i do about the car situation and the title? I believe he’s getting money from the insurance company.

2 Lawyer Answers

A: Is your ex your ex husband? If so, does the Divorce Decree state who retains possession of the vehicle? Is the restraining order against you or your ex?

These factors will have an impact on what your relief may be in this situation.

Charles Candiano agrees with this answer

Charles Candiano
Charles Candiano
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: I agree with Mr. Van Oostendorp. If there was a decree of divorce, it would state who got the car. If you were never married, it is more difficult for the courts to say. Factors to consider would be whether you have a receipt for the car's purchase, whether your ex made payments, who paid insurance, whether the car is paid off, and if not, whether you had GAP insurance. The Restraining Order is irrelevant as you can still meet him at the police department or use whatever intermediary advised you that he wanted the title. If the title is in your name, there is no need to guess. Call the insurance company and ask what's going on.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.