Pasadena, TX asked in Criminal Law for Texas

Q: can I get a free lawyer for my son in custody charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon

my son is in jail for bond forfeiture charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon he did nor commit this crime has never been in trouble before

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Chad Zubi
Chad Zubi
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Kingwood, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Defendant's who cannot afford counsel can request the court to appoint counsel to represent them. Appointed counsel are often excellent lawyers and the reputation they have in some circles is unwarranted. However, if the court finds that your son can afford a lawyer then you cannot be appointed a lawyer and you should obtain the legal counsel of your choice. Most lawyers charge a fee as they have to make a living just like everyone else, however, there are some lawyers who will work with you regarding payment arrangements. I assume that your son has not been appointed a lawyer by the court, so I suggest you start calling around to see if there are any lawyers who can work with you to set up some type of payment plan.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.