Clayton, NC asked in Estate Planning and Probate for North Carolina

Q: My dad passed away recently. My mom filed out Application & Assignment of Year's Allowance.

This has been granted through the courts. How does she access this money & what can it be used for?

I don't understand where the money comes from (all that we have listed on the form is cars/boat/personal property). All bank accounts were joint. Is this money that she can get to pay medical bills he left?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ben Corcoran
Ben Corcoran
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Yadkinville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Without seeing the actual order, I cant tell you how to access it. Generally speaking, you would take a certified copy of the order to the bank or other entity and that would allow her to withdraw the money or transfer the interest. But once she has the money it is her money.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.