Phoenix, AZ asked in Workers' Compensation for Arizona

Q: Workers comp claim terminated, want to quit my job... however...

I received my workers comp letter and any benefits were terminated. I feel this was wrongfully done and I am bringing it up with a lawyer currently. However, I want to quit my job and go elsewhere while all of this is going on. Can I quit my job and work elsewhere without facing any consequences regarding the whole workers comp fiasco?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joel Friedman
Joel Friedman
  • Workers' Compensation Lawyer
  • Phoenix, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: This is a question you really should be asking the lawyer you apparently already have on your WC case. It's a common issue and any serious WC attorney will be able to advise you, especially knowing more about your current injury-related medical condition and why you disagree with your benefits being terminated. That being said, there may or may not be consequences if your claim is "unclosed" and benefits are reinstated. The general rule is that if the company where you were working at the time of your injury has been giving you light duty, even hypothetical earnings from that light duty employment will continue to count against any disability benefits you may qualify for later (if you leave the job). There are many factors that go into the decision you need or want to make, it's best again to discuss with your current WC lawyer who knows your case better

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.