Sandusky, OH asked in Divorce for Ohio

Q: I need to start a no fault divorce while my wife lives in a different state. We have no assets to fight over.

We were married in June of 1998 in Lorain, Ohio and she left me in October of 2005. At the time we agreed to take what was ours and be done with each other. We had a minor child that we shared custody of with no issues. Here, 16 years later, we are still married. We talked about it and attempted to get divorced years ago, but were taken advantage of by a scammer. I would like to file a no fault divorce in Sandusky, Ohio while my "wife" lives in Tennesse. There is nothing to split or fight over such as property or money. And our child is now an adult. I need just the basic forms and how to's to get this finally finished. Thank you!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony C. Satariano
Anthony C. Satariano

A: You can proceed with a non-contested divorce wherein as long as your wife is served, most courts will allow you to finalize the divorce without your wife ever coming to court. Or, if your wife wishes to cooperate, you can file for a dissolution which would require both of you to come to court one single time. I suggest consulting with a family law attorney to ensure the process goes smoothly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.