Asked in Family Law for Utah

Q: Can I, (a legal resident who were locked out of my fiancés house,) hire a locksmith to open my door?

My fiance and I were in a fight and he changed the locks to the house. I am legally allowed access but can not enter due to the new locks.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mike Branum
Mike Branum
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: Probably. If you have been residing there he must follow eviction procedures to have you removed; he cannot just change the locks. If you have that address listed as your residence on your government-issued ID, the locksmith will likely open the door for you (less likely if you mention that your former fiancé changed the locks to keep you out). If you choose to do so, my advice would be to gather your belongings (just YOUR belongings, if in doubt, leave it) and find another place to stay.

Your former fiancé could file a police report and you could be charged. The charges would likely not survive a serious challenge, but you could end up with a huge headache. The safer bet would be to try to coordinate with your former fiancé to retrieve whatever belongings you have in the house.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.