Naples, FL asked in Family Law for Florida

Q: If a person has an active indigent status and is fighting for paternity, can they receive free attorney representation?

They were also a victim of a crime and have an active case.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew J Ausley
Matthew J Ausley
  • Jacksonville, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Legal aid services for family law cases are almost nonexistent. So, the chances of getting the help of an attorney for free are basically nonexistent. There are reasons that attorneys are expensive. If people could get services for free, lawyers wouldn't stay in business. These are cold hard facts of life that, frankly, suck.

However, there are things you can do. First, ask the court to have the mother pay some of his attorney's fees. If she has the ability, the court can make her contribute. Also, download the Florida Supreme Court Family Law Forms, complete the necessary forms, set hearings, and move your case forward. If you can get the required forms filed, set it for trial. Do your best with what you have. You can DIY a paternity case. It will be hard, and you probably won't do a good job, but it's better than nothing. This guy can turn his life around, get a job, make some money, and come back to court with a lawyer on another day. You guys can do it. Good luck.

Pamela J. Fero agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.