Pleasanton, KS asked in Divorce for Oklahoma

Q: Can I ask husband refinance our home and pay my equity and remove my name from the home & property prior to divorce

He took me off joint bank accounts, cell phone plans and car insurance this past fall 8/21-12/21. 1/5 he turned off access to hot water and washer and dryer. I had surgery 1/7 and I'm currently staying with family in Missouri recovering.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Charles Watts
Charles Watts
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: In most situations there are automatic injunctions put in place to prevent the changing of bank accounts, insurance, and utilities and the like. You need to consult with an attorney on this so that you can be represented fully. To your other question, yes you can ask, and file a joint affidavit for the sale of the home with the sharing of the proceeds, however, that doesn't mean that he will have to agree and therefore you would be stuck, again an attorney should be able to help you expedite this matter but you need to talk to one and let them know all the details because every case is different and thus no blanket answer can be given. Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.