Santa Clara, CA asked in Landlord - Tenant for North Carolina

Q: I'm unable to send a $10,000 tenant debt for collections b/c property manager refuses to disclose tenant information

I have a property in NC that was managed by a property manager. The previous tenant had to be evicted, and has a debt of $10,000. I'm no longer working with that property manager, and would like to send the debt for collections. The property manager refuses to disclose with me any personal information about the tenant (other than their name), claiming that stats/federal law prohibit that. As a result I'm unable to take actions to collect this debt. Does that sound legitimate for the property manager to withhold this information given that we're no longer in contract, and I'm unable to take any actions without it?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ben Corcoran
Ben Corcoran
  • Yadkinville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Generally speaking, most of your tenant's information should have been in the eviction file at the courthouse, which is public record. If your tenant was a business then their information should be on the NC secretary of states webpage. I would advise hiring an attorney in the county where the property was located to attempt collection proceedings. But be aware that NC has pretty weak civil collection methods and you stand a high chance of never seeing the money.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.