Kailua Kona, HI asked in Civil Litigation and Small Claims for Hawaii

Q: Under Hawaii law 607-14.5 Attorney fees and costs in civil actions, doesn't it involves domestic violence or injury?

In a TRO case the judge prior to the hearing began, stated that if I lost, than I would have to pay for the opposing attorney's fees. In our case there were no domestic violence and or personal injury, or hardship by lost of work, within the parties involved. There were no evidence shown beyond a shadow of a doubt, to warrant my having to pay opposing lawyer. Therefore can a judge order for someone to pay for the opposing attorney's fees, without just cause?

1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Simonds
Mark Simonds
  • Haiku, HI
  • Licensed in Hawaii

A: Actually, the prevailing party in a TRO hearing may file a non-hearing motion for attorney’s fees and costs. That means there is no hearing, but you may file a written response if you object to paying the other side’s legal bill. The judge probably warned the parties of this in her or his opening comments. That is proper, but again, the prevailing (winning) party has to file a motion for the judge to consider, and the attorney’s fees and costs must be reasonable.

I have responded to motions for attorney’s fees and cost, post hearing, and had the court deny them, and filed them when my client prevailed, and succeeded in collecting. Feel free to reach out to me should you need further assistance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.