Grayling, MI asked in Land Use & Zoning for Michigan

Q: Can I do anything about my neighbors parking next to my home grayling mi 49738 208 Scott street

We live in the township, not city. My neighbor has a business which is transportation. He has big diesel trucks, other trucks, big trailers, van,rvs, snowmobiles etc. they run everything between our homes. I live in a 1965 trailer, which the owner, my boyfriend has had since he was 22, he’s 56 now. We can’t open the windows on that side of the house. You can’t watch tv with the vehicles running. Our home vibrates and it’s loud and their exhaust fumes come in my home when we can or try to open the windows. I have called the police numerous times they can’t do anything. The neighbors are rude loud mean, the police have instructed me to not even go on that side of my house and move if I can. Can I sue my neighbor for the cost of putting up a fence or making it so (our windows are old we rarely opened them to begin with and we don’t want to replace them if we can’t use them) we can’t open our windows or the noise etc… can we make it so they have to park 20 feet away instead of 5 or 6 feet.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You should research what your local ordinances say about trucks, noise, and commercial activity on residential property. Perhaps they are in violation of something, which you can address with your township or file a nuisance action.

The problem with living in a township versus a city is just what you are experiencing. Many people say cities control too much what you can do on your own property and like living out in townships and rural areas where "no one can tell you what to do". Still, there are usually some provisions, especially about commercial activity, you may be able to look into.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.