Concord, NC asked in Real Estate Law for North Carolina

Q: I own a house on family land that the family can't agree what to do with.

Me and my wife bought a house on her family's land. Recently their grandmother has died without a will leaving it to about 5 different hires. due to their financial issues no one wants to pay the mortgage left on the property. Just wondering what I can do legally or will we just lose our house. If the land gets foreclosed on is there anything we can do to keep our house. We are in North Carolina

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery

A: Hire a competent NC attorney to determine heirship, and if there is sufficient equity, file an Action for a Sale For Partition. Act now.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.