Asked in Estate Planning and Real Estate Law for New Jersey

Q: I would like to take my sister's name off my property deed and set it as joint tenancy with my son with right of

Survivorship. This is in New Jersey.

Do I have to do 2 quit deed claims?

Or it is just one filing?

My sister is alive and willing to sign.

1 Lawyer Answer
Morris Leo Greb
Morris Leo Greb
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Rockaway, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: All that is needed is one deed with your sister named as the grantor (seller) and you and your son named as grantees (buyer). The deed can simply either name you and your son as joint tenants which has rights of survivorship or add a clause after the description that it is the intention of the deed to create rights of survivorship. I would suggest that you consult with an attorney with real estate experience.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.