New Baltimore, MI asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Michigan

Q: I have full custody of my daughter. Her dad wasn't involved the whole pregnancy up until 9 months old .

He has no rights to her. He's not on the birth certificate. I'm trying to have him be put on the birth certificate. He doesn't pay child support. If I ask for diapers or wipes he'll get it but that's all he does. I could use more help i take care of her full time not able to work currently , Parents even help out financially which I'm thankful for but will the state of Michigan make him pay child support if I tell him he does the bare minimum? I worry he'll try and get her full custody . He's told me before that if I made him pay he would try and get full custody of her.

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Don't fall for that threat. Parenting time, custody, and child support are all separate issues under the law for that very reason.

If the child receives state assistance (e.g. Medicaid, WIC, etc.), the state will seek and enforce a child support order regardless of what you say.

Otherwise, if you want support, you should seek it. It's going to start, though, with you establishing paternity for him. Otherwise, as things stand now, he has no rights to the child.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.