Mcdonough, GA asked in Landlord - Tenant for Virginia

Q: I live in Va. My ex boyfriend is living in my home and wont leave.can I evict him? How long is the process?

He does not pay rent nor is he leasing. I own the home.I served 3 day eviction notice but he doesn't believe it's real and refuse to leave. Ive called police on him for harassing me in my home. He keeps attempting to hurt himself by falling down steps, falling on furniture and breaking things while falling saying he's going to sue me. He is a threat to me, himself, and others. I have a court date next month. But dont know what to expect. I served him with court date for him to appear. I had to place a lock on my bedroom door to stop him from entering since police would not remove him from my home when he entered my bedroom the last time. What rights do I have?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Steven Krieger
Steven Krieger
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Arlington, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Yes, you can evict him. The specific process depends on what your agreement with him was. Was there a signed lease? Did he pay rent or perform some service in exchange for living there. That impacts the type of notice you give. If you decide to hire a lawyer, I'm sure anyone who responds would be happy to help. Good luck!

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.