Newark, NJ asked in Landlord - Tenant for New York

Q: Does a landlord in NY State have to serve notice to quit/cure prior to filing petition Holdover Recover Real Property?

Serving a 30 day notice together with rent demand isn't sufficient service to then proceed with a Holdover petition to Recovery Real Property? No notice to Cure or Quit ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Elaine Shay
Elaine Shay
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: A rent demand is served in connection with starting a nonpayment case not a holdover proceeding. Since landlord's that are self represented are held to the same standards as those who retain counsel, avoid being penny wise and pound foolish and hire a local attorney to assist you with your landlord tenant case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.