Kennewick, WA asked in Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support for Washington

Q: My child turns 18 next month... what do I need to do regarding Child Support/Parenting Plan, does it end automatically?

I am just needing to know what I do when he turns 18, do I need to go to court to terminate those 2 things, or do they just end automatically when he turns 18? I obviously do not want to keep paying child support at 18, but do owe a small amount of back support, and also obviously don't either want that accumulating towards back support past his 18th.

I also assume the Parenting Plan stops needing to be followed by both parties, when he turn 18, is that correct? I only have every other weekend currently, plus an additional Saturday and 1st and 3rd Wednesday. However, he wants to stay here more often when he can... since parenting plan refers to the "minor child", I assume it ends on his 18th birthday.

Please advise, I am incredibly appreciative of your legal advice, but clueless here. Thank you!

1 Lawyer Answer
Zachary C Ashby
Zachary C Ashby
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Richland, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: The parenting plan will terminate automatically when your child turns 18.

Child support can be a little different. There is a termination date on the order. It will state something like this order ends when the child reaches 18. Often it is after he or she graduates high school or turns 18.

You should also check the order for post-secondary support which can be ordered until the child is 23.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.