Cape Coral, FL asked in Criminal Law for Florida

Q: I have a case that includes 6 counts of paraphernalia possession. The prosecution is going to offer 5 of the counts be

Dismissed for either 45 days or 12 months of probation. If I reject the offer and say I want to go to trial, is it likely the prosecution may offer a better plea agreement? I'm not a resident of Florida and only here for a short time caring for my sister, but I want to get home to Wisconsin to my daughter and hope I won't have to spend time in jail, and I doubt that probation can be transferred to another state. Or can it? What's worse is that I recently found out that in addition to this case I have a felony warrant issued for larceny. I don't know the details of the warrant, but I think it's because my criminal ex boyfriend told me to get his cart full of tools from Home Depot and push it to the doorway while he pulled the car up. I thought he'd paid and he didn't. I was handcuffed and held for 2 hrs then let go. He was never detained. The cops said the state may press charges and I think they have. Can I possibly win the case? What would my defense be? I am not a lucky girl lately.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jeffrey H. Garland
Jeffrey H. Garland
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Fort Pierce, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You need a lawyer and fast. Not the internet question answering kind. First, if all 5 paraphernalia charges are at the same time and place it should be just 1 charge. That’s because paraphernalia is both a singular and plural noun. The other matter is completely different and a felony. Please do yourself favor and retain counsel for both.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.