Cape Coral, FL asked in Criminal Law and Wrongful Death for Illinois

Q: My boyfriend's teenage son died about a yr ago in his sleep from what the coroner called a toxic combination of drugs...

My boyfriend was the only other person home. Can he be charged in the death of his own son? If so, would it be the state that presses charges? And what would the formal charges be? Could he possibly be convicted? I mean, it was his own son. I can't even imagine what he's going through.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Audriana T. Anderson
Audriana T. Anderson
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Wheaton, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: This is an extremely unfortunate situation for this family. There are potentially a couple of criminal charges the father could face -- if the father provided the drugs to his son, the father could be charged with drug induced homicide. If the father was aware that his son was consuming drugs or had drugs, the potentially the father could be charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor if the father with the intent to promote or facilitate the commission of an offense solicited, compelled or directed his in the commission of the offense. Both of these situations are fairly remote; however, the father truly should have an experienced attorney with him when questioned and interviewed by the police.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.