Woodinville, WA asked in Estate Planning, Family Law and Real Estate Law for Oregon

Q: My elderly grandparents have been convinced by family friends to give them their estate. What can I do?

My Grandparents are kind people and have housed a family friend for the past several years. She has convinced them that when they die she should get their house and the estate for nothing. She has evidently written up a contract that no one else in the family is allowed to see. The impression we have gotten from what little information that’s been shared, is that she will take over the mortgage payment with her boyfriend and take ownership of the estate. In exchange she will allow them to live there until they die.

Myself and my Brother are power of attorney for my grandparents in the event that they are unable to make decisions for them selves. My Grandmother has dementia but my Grandfather is arguably still sound of mind.

1 Lawyer Answer
Theressa Hollis
Theressa Hollis
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: If you believe that your grandparents are being taken advantage of I recommend you contact Adult Protective Services in the county in which they live.

Katherine Goodman agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.