Saint Louis, MO asked in Car Accidents, Federal Crimes, Personal Injury and Wrongful Death for Missouri

Q: What can be done to help a mother find some justice for the death of her son?

Last april a man driving without a license, without insurance, in an truck he’d had for nearly a month without registering it properly turned left into oncoming traffic. He struck and killed a man and seriously injured a woman on a motorcycle. Even with prior charges in another state for driving without insurance, speeding, dui with minor in vehicle, and an active warrant for charges stemming from domestic assault, and his continued ignorance of the same laws following the accident the driver at fault has yet to receive any charges or even a traffic ticket for the many laws he broke intentionally. As April will be the statute of limitation on any charges being filed what can be done to ensure some form of justice for the family of the victim. The prosecutor has told them “negligence cannot be proven” and refuses to take action. Any lawsuits regarding monetary compensation at this point would be pointless as the man responsible(at 28 y/o) is on permanent disability status.

1 Lawyer Answer
Cameron Tousi
Cameron Tousi

A: I'm so very sorry for your loss. In rare circumstances, it is possible to seek damages from the state itself (e.g., police and others acting as its agents). This is called the public duty doctrine, and its application depends on the particular statutes/court cases of a particular state. Under this doctrine, for a person to recover tort damages from a governmental entity, it must be shown that the governmental entity breached a duty owed to that person, depending on the circumstance involved, but this is not considered a the same as a breach of a duty owed to the entire public. The answer is very fact specific, but in certain admittedly rare circumstances, the doctrine is available. (As always, this is not legal advice.)

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.