Anchorage, AK asked in Landlord - Tenant for Alaska

Q: What are my options in the following scenario. Landlord claims I have abandoned my rental unit and threw out my stuff.

No judgements were entered. No eviction filed. Only threats of " its in corporates hands" completely blocked me from entering my home and threw away all of our family's belongings, meanwhile slandering our name to all of the other tenants .

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert King Reges Jr.
Robert King Reges Jr.
  • Anchorage, AK
  • Licensed in Alaska

A: Was this a residential unit or a commercial unit? Residential rentals are controlled by the Uniform Residential Landlord and Tenant Act (URLTA). You can find that online with the search words "Alaska URLTA." It tells you in plain terms your rights and obligations. If the unit was commercial, abandonment is a question of fact but your lease might expressly state variables that constitute "abandonment." In any event, if the unit was commercial then look to your lease for your rights. In no event (residential or commercial) is a landlord authorized to discard a tenant's personal property without first giving the tenant an opportunity to recover same (although personal property can, in some cases, be held by the landlord and sold as a means to recover past due rent). You should immediately provide the landlord with a written demand for return of your personal property and asking for a written statement of the factual basis of the declaration of abandonment. Compare to the facts as you know them. If you think you did not abandon, make a written demand for return of possession. Generally speaking, however, it is not cost-effective to involve the courts.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.