Salem, OR asked in Medical Malpractice for Oregon

Q: A nurse did not deflate the catheter before removing it, how much financial compensation should we ask for

My husband has had to go back into the hospital 2 times since this happened because there is permanent damage to the urethra and it keeps causing a blockage in the catheter. The hospital has asked us to give them a written statement with a idea what we would like for compensation monetarily. But I have no idea what to ask for?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: An Oregon attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for four weeks. However, it would be difficult for any attorney to offer guidance on determining a figure here. There are no step-by-step universal directions an attorney could offer. When a med mal firm makes a demand in a case, they generally base it on the findings of a medical professional who has evaluated the case and offered input in terms of the degree of injury, level of permanence, impact on future life quality, the venue, strength of supporting evidence, and other factors. That's one of the reasons why the question is difficult to answer in a meaningful manner. Two options before you are to arrive at a figure to the best of your abilities, which is something you already realize, or to reach out to an Oregon med mal attorney for a consult. Many med mal firms do offer free initial consults - that would be between you and firms you might contact. I'm sorry for your husband's ordeal, and I wish him a healthy recovery. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.