Alexandria, VA asked in Divorce, Family Law, Child Custody and Military Law for Alabama

Q: Can my ex stop me from moving out of state with the kids, even though she already moved out of state?

My ex moved out of state 2 months after the divorce. 3 years later I got married again and my wife is active duty military, which means we will have to move to another state soon. My ex keep saying she don't want the kids away from her, but she moved to Fl 3 years ago, and has violated the visitation schedule ever since. Only picking up the kids twice since the divorce, and whenever I am able to take them to her.

1 Lawyer Answer
Philip D. Cave
Philip D. Cave pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Military Law Lawyer
  • Washington, DC

A: You and your wife should go to the Base Legal Assistance Office. You are both entitled to free legal assistance. They will have some of the answers there. If they don't, they will have a referral list of local lawyers familiar with military divorces and PCS.

It partly depends on what your divorce documents say about travel or moving out of state.

Unfortunately, the lack of visitation is a separate issue.

You need to talk

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.