Vernon Rockville, CT asked in Estate Planning, Family Law, Elder Law and Probate for Connecticut

Q: Can Power of Attorney who is also named on the principal's bank account withdraw funds while principal is in hospice?

I am my father's power of attorney, healthcare representative, and conservator of his estate. He has decided to withdraw life support measures and will go into hospice with a life expectancy of about a week. He had to spend down assets to qualify for Medicaid and could not provide much for his grandchildren's college fund although he was adamant about wanting to leave them something. He only has a few hundred dollars in his bank account, but I'm curious if I can withdraw those funds and deposit them into college funds for his grandchildren while he is still alive. This idea was brought to his attention and he agreed that he would like to do this, but I'm not sure if it is permissible. I have been supporting his financial affairs since being admitted to a nursing facility and am currently named on his bank account.

1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: In most states, the ability of an agent under a power of attorney to make gifts on behalf of the principal is a "hot power", meaning it is not covered by general language in a POA. It must be specifically stated. Look for specific authority in the POA to make gifts and see if there are any limitations to that power.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.