Honolulu, HI asked in Family Law for Hawaii

Q: I have a TRO case in a week, the only evidence the other party has against me is screenshots and the use of cell phone.

Everything in the TRO filed is "Hearsay," and the only possible proof is on a cell phone as a screen shot or text message or on social media (facebook). Is any of this actually admissable in the courts?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew A Sylva
Matthew A Sylva
  • Kailua-Kona, HI
  • Licensed in Hawaii

A: It depends. In criminal Violation of TRO proceedings, the State would need to turn over copies of any discovery/evidence related to a person's case. In a civil proceeding that could either be in district or family court depending on whether you and the other person meet the criteria for relatives, partners, etc. If the other person is attempting to obtain a TRO against you, that person should have to file an exhibit list with the court and provide you a copy. And the person would have to be able to meet the evidentiary foundation requirements under the Hawaii Rules of Evidence in order for the Court to properly consider the contents (often screenshots printed on paper or video published in the courtroom). Hearsay is a common legal objection, but it can be overcome under a number of listed exceptions to the rule. If the other person has an attorney, their attorney is likely capable of doing the above for them and then such information may be admissible depending on some other rules of evidence.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.