Brooklyn, NY asked in Child Support and Family Law for Oklahoma

Q: Okla dhs closed the case when child turned 18, arrears are still owed, how do I collect from another state now?

we had a custody change as my child needs to know their siblings, they then lived with biological father at the time he(bio-father) owed over twenty thousand, I was under the understanding his back amount would be reduced from any amount that was asked of me to pay( not the case), my child is now 19( and living on his own) the oklahoma dhs closed the case when my child turned 18 with the father still owing over twenty thousand, what do I do to collect the back child support as my child could use it for college, I do not live in Oklahoma, I live in another state, I have been told bc my child is 18 I cant open a child support case with my home state... what do I do? I am in good standing and do not owe, but biological father still does, I'm not sure what steps to take, help.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anna L Self
Anna L Self
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: You can domesticate child support order in the state where the Dad lives and have an attorney collect for you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.