Dallas, TX asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Texas

Q: hi

So i believe that yesterday i have been rudely denied FHA due to nation origin/race.

i have an entire night of conversation via iMessage and Roomies.com with Mr. X wife about how everything is going to be. Pet deposit $300, rent per month $450, Mr. X accepted my $300 deposit after he showed me the room advertised to rent, also told me that i can feel free to use the queen mattress. from there i was given the house key. Afterwards i had the car unloaded, i said id be back and will indeed decide to rent. Im Chinese, they were Vietnamese, i could not understand what they were discussing. Soon after im about to load the car once more, i started to receive various excuses of why i shoudn't move in. I am still unsure. i have apple pay transaction of $200 and paid $100 cash ($300) which was soon returned to me since i felt as if i were being discriminated against. They were their word and feel i am due more than just my money deposited initially back. im now stuck in between moves.

1 Lawyer Answer
John Cucci Jr.
John Cucci Jr.
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Houston, TX

A: If you like the apartment, take it. But if it a month-to-month tenancy, I might tell you not to move in.

Go with your gut, and stick to your decision.

You will need actual proof of discrimination to do anything on that front.

I hope it works out.

Good Luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.