Houston, TX asked in Military Law for Texas

Q: Need jag advice. I went awol from the army back in ‘09 and I wish to go back to clear my name. What should I do?

Before I left I told my sergeant at the time that I was leaving and he told me to go take care of my family. I have been gone for almost 14 years and I wish to go back to clear my name. I need an advice from jag as to what I should do or where the best place would be to go to do this.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Philip D. Cave
Philip D. Cave pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Military Law Lawyer
  • Washington, DC

A: There are civilian lawyers who can help with this.

Experience shows that a person receives better treatment if they surrender rather than get arrested. 30 days after you left you were declared a deserter and a federal arrest warrant was issued. Mny of my AWOL clients were arrested when they got a traffic ticket.

You can go to any military base or recruiting office and tell them you are there to surrender. The MPs will take it from there.

Depending on how you present your case you may be able to avoid a court-martial prosecution and receive an administrative discharge.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.