Reno, NV asked in Child Custody for Nevada

Q: 50/50 custody. Steps to move out of state with children; if ex husband will not permit it?

Ex husband will nor come to an understanding or arrangement.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: Unless your Order gave you permission to relocate with the children, it is best not to do so without either the other party's consent or Judge approval as you will likely be Ordered to return the children, may have to pay for the other side's attorney fees and/or may cause the judge to award primary custody to your ex. If your ex is not cooperating then you will need to file a motion with the judge and give good reasons that are in the child's best interest of why you should be permitted to relocate.

Relocation arguments are difficult absent very good reasons which are in the child's best interest so be sure you file your motion and include all valid reasons for the move.

good luck.

Janice Jacovino agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.