Q: Do you get a lawyer if they offer you PTI but you have never been assigned a lawyer

I was arrested on 1129 my charges to begin with was if you look online at Washington county clerk of Court was possession of a controlled substance without prescription and drug paraphernalia will they change our first appearance to possession of synthetic marijuana and paraphernalia then they change again to a actual constructive possession I've synthetic marijuana and drug paraphernalia till when I went to court on the 27th of January the PTI paperwork says possession of synthetic marijuana was intent to sell and drug paraphernalia so if I don't complete PTI my charger is on my record will be the possession of synthetic marijuana with intent to sell

1 Lawyer Answer
Michael  Mayoral
Michael Mayoral
  • Coral Gables, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You definitely have the right to be appointed a public defender on a felony charge. Contact your local public defender's office or hire a criminal defense attorney. You definitely want to have an attorney explain the ramifications of any agreement with the State, even if its PTI.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.