Milwaukee, WI asked in Personal Injury and Car Accidents for Arkansas

Q: If a case has been awarded 2 the defendant and the claimant is trying to renege on the payment by paying less or bankr

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: An Arkansas attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. It isn't fully clear what happened here because part of your post might have gotten left off. It looks like you were the defendant in a civil claim where the tables turned and the original claimant was found liable to you - but they are trying to pay less or threatening with bankruptcy? It looks like that might be a possibility based on the description.

If that's what happened, you could first explore whether payment is possible through their insurance carrier. You post this under Car Accidents, and if there is insurance available and they concede to the decision, that could be the cheapest route for you to go with. If insurance is not an available route, you could reach out to local attorneys who deal with collection/judgments of civil matters and discuss what your best and most cost-effective options are. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.