Dallas, TX asked in Immigration Law for New Jersey

Q: My boyfriend has a green card and caught the following charges /Manufacture,Distribute,Dispense will he loose his gcard?

My boyfriend has had a green card since the age of 6 got the following charges at 19 1 count of :

2C:35-5A1*1 CDS/Manufacture,Distribute,Dispense /1 has been incarcerated for 5years will he face deportation after serving his time? And get his green card revoked?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Libertyville, IL

A: I strongly recommend an appointment or teleconference with a competent immigration attorney. The crime appears serious and can result in a deportation order, but it is unclear whether the words and substance involved can be defined as a crime that lacks any relief.

If you require a second opinion, because you need an in-depth evaluation, then it is best to have all the records for an attorney. That includes the complaint, any amendments by prosecutors, the plea, the police report, transcripts, etc. Some clients can afford to work with more experienced immigration attorneys.

Some states may allow post conviction relief to reopen a criminal case for limited circumstances. Certain reasons to reopen and dismiss can be ignored by an immigration court. It’s a much more complicated issue than you think with very limited, but possible options.

Immigration is a Federal practice that allows some to hire immigration attorneys, nationwide.

The above is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.