Paradise, MI asked in Wrongful Death for Michigan

Q: What are a personal representative's rights and means for acquiring the decedent's medical and other records?

If a family member dies under suspicious circumstances and we want to uncover wrong-doing and negligent treatment by officials and care-givers, what are our rights in demanding all records associated with the decedent's medical treatment? We want records from public mental health agencies residential treatment facilities, doctor's appointments, staff meetings, etc. How do we demand to see everything?? Police reports, judge's notes? everything!!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: It's going to take a lot, and you'd probably be wise to hire an attorney to help you undertake all that and to do it properly.

You're not getting judge's notes, however. But most everything else, there is a way - through HIPAA or FOIA.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.