Georgetown, OH asked in Child Support for Ohio

Q: Brown County, OH. Dissolution and child support.

We're trying to do this without a lawyer. We agreed on everything already, will be splitting time with children equally. She doesn't want child support so do we have to fill out the paperwork for child support in the shared parenting plan section?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: The court requires all the forms to be completed and submitted. You are making a mistake if you do it without an attorney. Yes, there are some legal fees involved, perhaps a few hundred if you both agree on everything, but if you make a mistake in what you are doing, it could be much more expensive to try to fix it later. And in some cases, a mistake cannot be fixed at all, and can result in problems that will go on for years. The court retains jurisdiction over child support until the child is 18 or finishes HS. So even if you both agree to no child support now, either of you could file with the court for child support later. So use the Find a Lawyer tab and retain a local family law attorney to review all the circumstances of your situation, explain the process, fill out all the forms properly and get them filed, and advise you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.