San Jose, CA asked in Real Estate Law for Oklahoma

Q: How does property pass from one generation to the next if there was originally no will?

My mother is 80 she has been taking care of her parents property with the help of me and my siblings for many years. Her father died in 1966 and mother in 1985. They died with no will in place. Since that time she has paid the property taxes and all upkeep. She had 4 siblings all deceased now. None of them or their children ever took interest in the property or helped with expenses. Mother wants to make a will where she protects this property and leaves it to her 5 children which in later years have tended to it. How does she go about this or can she?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James Tack Jr
James Tack Jr
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: She should consult with an estate planning/ real property attorney. It is likely you will need to obtain deeds from the children of her siblings, file one or more probate cases, a quiet title suit or some other action to resolve the issues created by the length of time since her father's death. Her making a will does not protect the property from the claims of the other parties, it merely directs how her interest in the property will be transferred upon her death.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.