West Monroe, LA asked in Family Law and Landlord - Tenant for Louisiana

Q: Can guardian kick out 18+ in Louisiana?

My mother was legal guardian of my stepdads grandson. He is now over 18 but still lives with my mom. There is no tenant-landlord relationship as he's a bum. He's crossed the line one too many times and I'm just finding out about this. The local sheriff's are saying my mom can't just kick him out as he's a resident of that address and needs to call the Constable for an eviction notice. He doesn't pay rent and there is no written agreement for him to live there. State of Louisiana.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Douglas Lee Bryan
Douglas Lee Bryan
  • Marksville, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: If he has been living there with her permission, she would have to evict him. If she lives in city court jurisdiction, she would have to file to have him evicted in city court. Otherwise, she needs to contact her Justice of the Peace to file with him. If she has any questions about how to proceed, I suggest she speak with an attorney who handles evictions.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.