Charlotte, NC asked in Immigration Law for North Carolina

Q: If my name is not on my Daughter birth certificate and I would like to put my name on it, also she is 19years old? NC

I been with her and her mom ,my wife,with are legally married, since she was born I just never have the chance to fix her birth certificate.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nadine C. Atkinson-Flowers
Nadine C. Atkinson-Flowers
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Philadelphia, PA

A: Hello. Your question needs more information for a specific answer but this general information should get you started. A lot depends on where your daughter was born and if you are a US citizen or were a US citizen when she was born if that was abroad.

If she was born abroad then the law in that country about how to add a parent's name to a birth certificate may need to be followed.

If you are and were a US citizen when she was born abroad then you can get in touch with the US authorities dealing with birth certificates.

If she was born here in the US, the specific state law concerning birth certificate may be needed.

You can find excellent resources on the us government sites as well as the state court sites and lawyers can be found on the Justia directory. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.