Coram, NY asked in Animal / Dog Law for New York

Q: My mother's veterinarian dropped the ball on her dog's diagnosis and now he is going to succumb to this disease

My mother brought her dog to the vet with lumps on his side, they told her he needed surgery and sent her home with antibiotics and Chinese herbs! it shrunk and she was told he did not need surgery. 2 months later he is diagnosed with mast cell cancer! When I consulted with his former veterinarian I was told that they dropped the ball. My objective is to hold them accountable. I am completely disgusted with the practice and I fear for other animals that would be their patients

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Benjamin Z. Katz
Benjamin Z. Katz
  • Animal & Dog Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: If the vet is a member of the New York State Veterinary Medical Society, you should file a complaint with them. They will investigate faster than the appropriate state agency. Their complaint can be found at:

If the vet is not a member, you will want to file a complaint with the NYS Education Department. That agency can investigate and impose penalties through its Office of Professional Discipline (OPD), since it's the licensing body for professionals in New York.

You should understand that once you file a complaint with NYSED, NYSVMS will not accept the complaint since they will not want two investigations going on at the same time.

If you wish to bring a civil action for the loss of your pet, you may proceed in court. You should consult with an attorney who has experience. In general, relief will be limited to financial damages.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.