Westwood, NJ asked in Personal Injury and Internet Law for New Jersey

Q: got fraud cheque from someone and asked me to deposit and do wire transfer and my bank balance went minus

I got an email regarding the job offer, when I asked about details they didn't mention anything and sent the cheque directly through email. I declined the offer. I asked them to cancel the cheque. They mentioned once it is initiated they cant cancel and forced me to deposit and transfer their money through wire transfer. After the cheque is deposited I thought really money is deposited. so , I did wire transfer and later I came to know my bank balance went minus and check was fraud. I reported to the bank immediately and filed customer report to the FTC and IC3 complaint too.

Please let me know is that depositing fraud cheque does create any problem to me, What I am supposed to do now.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Clifton, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: You should never deposit a check like that unless you call the bank it is drawn on to verify the funds. Even as an attorney, I have gotten suspicious checks, and I always call. Report it to the NJ Dept of Banking and Insurance. You should not have a problem. Good luck.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.