Lake Oswego, OR asked in Tax Law, Estate Planning and Real Estate Law for California

Q: I own and live in a home w/ my sister. She wants to convert to a duplex and rent half. What are the tax implications?

The home has been equally owned by the sisters for 50 years. They both have family who would ultimately inherit the property. Would the tax basis change? Would the property taxes change?

1 Lawyer Answer
Howard E. Kane
Howard E. Kane
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Oakland, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Converting a single-family residence to a duplex will not necessarily increase the value of the home. However, if the value is increased, the property taxes will be reassessed to reflect the increased value of the home. Per the California Board of Equalization website, new construction or improvements are generally assessable and may increase the taxable value of a property. The impact on a property tax assessment varies depending on the work being performed. Upon completion of the new construction, the assessor determines its fair market value, and a base year value is established.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.