Asked in Criminal Law for Texas

Q: Can a lawyer request a 1244A from a judge or does it have to be offered to them?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Michael Hamilton Rodgers
Michael Hamilton Rodgers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Yes, a lawyer can request a the Court to sentence the defendant pursuant to Sec. 12.44 (a). And while the law allows the Court to do so on its own motion, I have never seen a court sentence a defendant under 12.44(a) without first being requested to do so by the defendant's attorney.

John Cucci Jr. agrees with this answer

John Cucci Jr.
John Cucci Jr. pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Houston, TX

A: The statute you ask about allows someone to be sentenced as a Class A misdemeanor (180 days), although they have been found guilty of a State jail Felony. You will still be a "convicted Felon." That's because only the sentencing

(punishment), aspect of the law is reduced.

Technically, the District Attorney must offer the reduced sentence pursuant to section 12.44. Then the judge must also allow the reduced sentence to be applied. All of this permission is usually discussed and decided in a conference between all the parties. If the defendant has a short or no criminal history, the DA and the judge usually agree to allow the shorter sentence.

Good Luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.